Contact: sandbox-developers at movial.com
Source browser is available at http://sandbox.movial.com/gitweb?p=matrix.git;a=summary
Matrix is a tool for managing source code packages (or "components") and controlling their building and installation. The packages can either form a complete operating system or just an application suite or such. Other similar tools include BitBake (OpenEmbedded), GAR/GARNOME and the ports mechanisms used by BSD systems and source-based Linux distributions.
Matrix uses the Git version control system for managing the components and their meta data. Component development/maintenance is coupled with system integration, which simplifies workflows. Making a change to a component and rebuilding the complete system is easy. Upgrading to new upstream versions or integrating fixes is convenient (even if the upstream project doesn't use Git).
Matrix is intended to be used with Scratchbox 1 or Scratchbox 2. Matrix relies on Scratchbox for cross-compilation and sandboxing; if you don't need either (e.g. you want to install applications to your host system), you can use Matrix without Scratchbox.
- Scratchbox Apophis <http://scratchbox.org/>
- scratchbox-devkit-mtd - optional (required for matrix-rootfs)
- scratchbox-devkit-cputransp - optional
- POSIX environment (e.g. GNU/Linux)
- Python 2.3 <http://python.org/>
- Git 1.5 <http://git.or.cz/>
- GNU Make 3.80 <http://www.gnu.org/software/make/>
- Scratchbox 2 <http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/sbox2> - optional
Released source packages can be downloaded here.
The bleeding-edge version can be tracked using Git:
git clone git://sandbox.movial.com/git/matrix.git
- If you are using Matrix with Scratchbox 1, download Matrix to your Scratchbox home directory.
- You can use the http protocol if you are behind a firewall and the git protocol doesn't work for you.
- You can also view the repository.
Matrix programs can be run directly from the source directory (either explicitly or via PATH):
matrix/bin/matrix --help PATH=matrix/bin:$PATH matrix-rootfs --help
Alternatively, Matrix can be installed:
cd matrix python setup.py install --prefix=/host_usr